Rainscreen and Thermal Attachment Systems
Continuous Exterior Insulation Systems
Scope: Commercial ASHRAE: 90.1-2015
Energy Standard for Buildings
(ANSI Approved; IES Co-Sponsored)
International Energy Conservation Code
Scope: Residential and Commercial
ECC 2009, ECC 2012, ECC 2015
RainBarrier Continuous Insulation:
Thermafiber® RainBarrier® Continuous Insulation products are designed for exceptional performance in rain screen and cavity wall construction applications. Thermafiber® RainBarrier® 45 insulation provides thermal insulation, fire resistive characteristics, and acoustical control while efficiently draining water from a wall cavity system.
- Lowest amount of thermal bridging compared to all known bracket/clip competitors and assemblies – including non-metallic brackets.
- Complete rain screen attachment system – brackets, fasteners, rails and engineering – one source.
- 10 year limited labor and material warranty, available from KWS.
- Project specific engineering with a PE stamp for the attachment system can be provided.
- Systems are designed for drainage and airflow with perforated rails/girts.
- Highly corrosive-resistant AZ55 Galvalume, standard. Stainless steel competitively available.
- Exterior insulation fits snugly around the thin steel brackets reducing excess trimming labor.
- Thermally isolated ThermaStopTM Base, works well with a dual density mineral fiber insulation.
- Wider spacing capabilities – up to 32″ O.C. (every other stud – project specific load dependent) making for an extremely cost effective system.
- 30″ O.C. vertical spacing of brackets on most projects equals fewer brackets – quicker installation and fewer envelope penetrations.
- Fully noncombustible assembly since the primary structural bracket is steel.
- The ThermaStopTM assembly has no fire requirements per the 2009 and 2012 IBC, since it is not a fiber reinforced polymer.
- Rails may be attached to ThermaBracket in either a vertical or horizontal orientation for design flexibility.
- Versatile – Attach nearly any cladding type with easy and efficient installation and detailing.
- Easily plumb and straighten claddings with a simple, integrated adjustment feature.
Advantages to Knight Wall Systems
- Easily attain code compliance with exterior insulation
- High corrosive-resistant Zn-Al-Mg ZM40 coating for long service life vs Galvanized steel
- No trimming or manipulation of exterior insulation makes installation quick and simple
- All fasteners penetrating the insulation are thermally isolated with preassembled washers
- Attach nearly any cladding with easy and efficient installation and detailing
- Excellent ventilation with a constant 3/4-inch or 1-1/2-inch continuous rain screen cavity
- Pre-engineered, tested, and warranted
Non-Thermal Bridging: Exterior Insulation Attachment
Knights CI-System uses continuous steel girts over Polyiso or MFI for mineral wool that can be spaced up to 32 O.C. horizontally and support claddings that weigh up to 28 PSF*. The system uses a unique thermal isolation washer at each penetrating fastener, creating one of the most thermally efficient rainscreen attachments on the market today. This drop-in system is supplied with correct wall anchors for attaching to the stud sub-structure with ThermaStop isolators pre-assembled on the fasteners, as well as associated rails and rail fasteners for a complete attachment solution. Knight can provide stamped engineering drawings and a ten year labor and material warranty. Allows Knight™ expertise to validate the proper engineering and structure design.