Griffolyn® Vapor Barriers
Walls, Ceilings, Under Slab and Roofing
Griffolyn® is an architectural vapor retarder recommended for under slab, walls and ceilings, and in roofing systems. It is estimated that air leakage through a hole of less than one square inch can allow passage of up to nearly eight gallons of water into the building envelope over the course of a single heating season resulting in mold and decay problems.
Griffolyn® vapor barriers effectively control air and vapor diffusion to reduce the amount of moisture infiltration into the building envelope. Made from durable and strong, internally reinforced polyethylene laminates, the Griffolyn® system withstands extreme temperatures and is highly resistant to punctures and tears.
Griffolyn’s® line of fire retardant vapor retarder materials pass NFPA 701 Large Scale “Standards Methods of Fire Tests for Flame-Retardant Textiles and Films.” They have a Class 1 / Class A Flame Spread Rating per UBC-42 and ASTM E-84.
Under Slab Applications
Griffolyn® under slab vapor retarders and barriers prevent moisture from migrating into habitable space and causing problems such as deterioration of flooring adhesive, delamination, bacteria growth and warping. Even if new concrete is allowed to dry to the point where flooring can safely be installed, the absence or improper installation of a vapor retarder can later lead to expensive failures.
The need for an under slab vapor retarder in high humidity areas with high water tables is well understood. However, buildings in arid climates also need vapor retarders. Air conditioning the interior of the structure creates a significant difference in vapor pressure which causes moisture to be drawn out of the ground through the slab and into the space above.
Features and Benefits
- Multiple layers and cord reinforcement resists tears.
- UV stabilization protects the material from degradation during extended exposure to sunlight.
- Cold-crack resistance eliminates failures in extremely cold temperatures.
- Chemically resistant to withstand exposure without significant deterioration.
- Low permeability greatly inhibits moisture transmission.
- Flexibility and light weight allow for easy handling and quick installation.
- Custom fabrication is available to meet your exact specifications.
- High durability allows for significant savings through reuse and fewer replacements.